FW: DOCBOOK-APPS: sgml auto-indenter

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin M. Dunn [mailto:kdunn@hsc.edu]
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2000 12:22 PM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: sgml auto-indenter

Several people have discussed the use of tidy to indent sgml and xml
sources. It didn't work for my documents, as
tidy did not recognize my entities. Rather than fix tidy, I just wrote a
perl script to indent anything with sgml-type
tags. Only non-empty tags are indented, and text is justified at 80
characters/line (easily changed). Try it out, if you
like, and let me know what needs fixing. I am running perl under redhat 6.1.

Known problems: will break line-specific enviroments. So far, the script is
quite general--it does not recognize
specific tags and so could be used for any xml or sgml, not just docbook. Is
there any way to recognize literal text
independent of DTD? Leading whitespace, for example? Trailing whitespace? Or
I could indent tags only, and leave
all non-tag text unjustified and unindented.