Re: XDM and X Terminal mini howto ... ?

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 08:47:50AM +0000, Kevin Taylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I submitted a query to ldp-discuss about writing
> a XDM and X terminal mini howto, and have since
> been told about the older X terminal mini Howto.
>
> I obviously should have looked there first !
>
> I am thus interested in bringing this up to date,
> but would be interested to know what my next
> move should be ...
>
> I have a rudimentary source for my new document
> (before the older X terminal was discovered)
> in HTML and now (nearly) in DocBook/SGML ...
>
> I will obviously have to combine the 2 documents
> at some point.  Should I contact the original
> author of the X terminal howto ?  Should I just
> pick up the name 'x terminal mini howto' or
> should I keep my 'XDM and X terminal mini howto',
> pull in the bits from the older one, and just
> provide credits ?
>
> My thoughts are really with the latter.

If this is done then Xterminal-HOWTO becomes obsolete since it's
replaced by another.  Still, it would be a good idea for LDP to keep
it somewhere just in case there is some info in it that is not in the
newer one.  So I think that besides "unmaintained" there needs to be a
"defunct" category (or the like).  Then a note needs to be added to
the start of the old howto (is there a tag for this ?) stating that it
has been superseded by another how.

> Would value your opinions,
> Ta,
> Kevin Taylor.