Re: SGML tools aren't so great

Martin WHEELER <mwheeler@startext.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 4 May 2000, jdd wrote:
>
> > I have, for now
> >
> > /usr/bin/sgml2html
> > /usr/bin/sgml2info
> > /usr/bin/sgml2latex
> > /usr/bin/sgml2lyx
> > /usr/bin/sgml2rtf  (this one is probably a winner)
> >
> > /usr/bin/sgml2txt
> >
> > with this we can probably use any sgml source with any wp.
>
> "any sgml source" ?
>
> I doubt it.
>
> I think you will find that you can only convert from text tagged for the
> particular DTD the converters were written for -- NOT "any" SGML DTD.

With these tools, if they are the ones I think they are, you are
right. With a tool planned to accept any DTD working with, e.g., the
ESIS output, you could get the conversion for any DTD.

If DSSSL was fully implemented in free tools such as Jade/OpenJade,
then we'd be able to get the same appearance on the many output
formats we have.

--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações
Publishing Department                   Conectiva S.A.